About Rob Piercy
A member of the Royal Cambrian Academy, Rob Piercy has been painting professionally since the early eighties. He trained as an art teacher and taught until 1990 when he decided to take the brave move to give up his teaching role and concentrate solely on his painting, at this time Rob and Enid were bringing up a young family, paying a mortgage and the gallery was as yet unfinished!
Previously a member of the Alpine Club of Great Britain, Rob is an experienced mountaineer having climbed throughout the UK and Europe. Naturally his favourite subject matter are the mountains, in particular his native Eryri (Snowdonia). Although he will also admit to a degree of affinity for the whimsical village of Portmeirion.
Recognition and successes
He has exhibited his work in several prestigious competitions throughout the UK, most notably in the Sunday Times Watercolour Competition where his work has been regularly accepted for exhibition.
In the year 2000 he was shortlisted for the prestigious Garrick/Milne Art Prize worth £20,000 to the winner. Two years later he became Welsh Artist of the Year, and in 2008 he published his first book – The Snowdonia Collection, a bi-lingual book of paintings of Snowdonia. There followed a second book in 2012 entitled ‘Portmeirion – An Artist’s Perspective’ with a third ‘Cwm Idwal’ due to be published in 2021.
Over the years there have been many changes, he exhibited at the NEC Spring Fair for many years and established a large network of wholesale customers, one of whom was John Lewis stores. Recently the business acquired an adjoining building which has now been converted into a print and framing shop. This is located on Snowdon Street in Porthmadog. The original gallery will now be exclusively the domain of Rob Piercy originals.
Below is a short résumé of the more significant events that have punctuated Rob Piercy's painting career:
- 2019: Our Diverse Landscape. Oriel Plas Glyn y Weddw.
- 2018: Rob Piercy at the Albany.
- 2018: Sea and Mountain, a major collection of watercolours and oils at Oriel Ynys Mon.
- 2017: Royal Cambrian Academy, Landscapes and Drawings
- 2016:30th Birthday Exhibition , An exhibition of work by Rob Piercy to celebrate the 30th birthday of the gallery.
- 2014: Rob Piercy at the Albany, One man show at the Albany Gallery
- 2012: Portmeirion Book Launch, The launch of Rob Piercy's book : Portmeirion
- 2011: 25th Christmas Exhibition, Annual exhibition at the Rob Piercy Gallery
- 2011: Rob Piercy, Karl Davies and Rosa Sepple, Three person show at the Albany Gallery.
- 2009: Rob Piercy at the Albany Gallery, Three man exhibition at the Albany Gallery, Cardiff
- 2007: Landscapes of Wales, one man show at the Albany Gallery, Cardiff
- 2005: Mountains of the UK and the Alps, one man show at the Alpine Club, London
- 2003: Exhibitor at the Garrick/Milne Art Prize, Christies, London
- 2002: Winner - Welsh Artist of the Year, St David's Hall, Cardiff
- 2001: Torri Enw, one man show at the Albany Gallery, Cardiff
- 2000: Runner Up - Garrick/Milne Art Prize, Christies, London
- 1998: One man show at St David's Hall, Cardiff
- 1996: Winner of the inaugral Watercolour Society of Wales Open Competition at the St Davids Hall, Cardiff
- 1996: Venice. A one man show at the Albany Gallery, Cardiff
- 1995: High Places, a major collection of watercolours at Oriel Ynys Mon, Anglesey
- 1994: Portmeirion, a one man show at the Town Hall, Portmeirion
- 1994: One man show at the Albany Gallery, Cardiff
- 1993: Snowdon, a major one man exhibition of watercolours at the National Museum of the North, Llanberis
- 1986: Oriel Rob Piercy’s gallery opens its doors for the first time.